1/19/11

hearing test

We got everything gathered to head out for Liam's third hearing evaluation. We made sure we wore him out before we left because he was supposed to be ready for a nap by the time we got there for a more accurate reading. This was no easy task by any means, but I think we made progress because he was definitely on edge and ready to go down. As soon as we arrived, Liam spotted the play area.  He played for a short time until our name was called.  Then suddenly we found ourselves in the sound booth. Dad was a good sport and held Liam for most of the visit while I digitally documented our time there. Liam was surprisingly good. The Doctors thought it was neat that I blogged my life to the world, after asking them for permission to take photographs. I did get a weird look at first. So, I snapped a few photos and then waited patiently outside the room. The Doctor said he did great, but she couldn't get the headphones on him because all he wanted to do was play with them. I'm not too terribly shocked, nor was she. We moved to the second floor where the real fun began. Liam was SO tired by this time that he didn't want to cooperate and was fighting going to sleep, including pulling at the wires. He simply wasn't having a bunch of cords and tape stuck to his head. We had no choice but to break out the big guns and give him a warm bottle to do the trick.  After a few minutes, Liam finally passed out on Dad and we were able to complete the test - a very long test I might add. We still need to get more testing done since the headphones didn't work out. I have been instructed to help Liam get used to headphones so the next test will go a little smoother. I looked at the Doctor with a 'yeah, right' kinda' look. We'll see. It's going to be a very long two months or so, but if I think the results will be a little better, it's worth the wait. Regardless of what happens, I think I am fully prepared now. After all, this isn't my first rodeo - bad news after bad news and hearing test after hearing test. The best thing about our exhausting appointment today? I was informed that I should be hearing 'Mama' sooner rather than later. I am SO looking forward to THAT day.

I will keep everyone updated as I am updated.  Thanks again for all the love and support.  We appreciate it more than words typed in a blog post can ever express.

Photobucket