6/20/10

my father story

Okay, to start this little blog post off, I have a Dad. I think that's obvious as all of us do. Some are fortunate to have a close relationship with their Dads, some are not. Well, I fall into the unfortunate category. My Dad was absent most of my childhood since he worked all the time and my Mom and Dad weren't getting along well. I'm not sure his absence was used as an excuse not to be around because of my Mom, or if he was just that person who just didn't want to be around. Even today, I'm still unclear. I have been around my Dad since I've gotten older and I was able to make those decisions on my own. I really like him. He's good to me and great with his Grandson. It's hard to believe that this "new" man neglected me. It's been about a year and a half since I spoke to him or spent any time with him. So, I think it's pretty obvious when I say that he hasn't met Liam or knows that he even exists. Our relationship is slowly, and I mean slowly, growing. I just hope I am able to spend a little more time with him before his time is up. He's sick, not sure how bad at the moment. But, when someone passes out and has seizures often, that can't be a good sign. For years now, I've called my Mom on Father's Day. Growing up she had to play two parents, not just Mom. I think she deserves at least a phone call. She loves it. Now that I am married into another family, I can honestly say that I have what I should've had a long time ago - a real Dad. Aaron's Dad is great. I feel a connection with him. He was even nice to enough to fill in as "Dad" and walk me down the isle for our wedding. After all, he is the closest thing I have to a father figure. I will always cherish that moment. Aaron is amazing with our two kids. I'm not sure if he was really in that mind set to be a Dad when Landon came along, but when he became "Dad", it was incredible to see how well he managed. It's true when they say you will adapt just fine. It's scary at first, but honestly, it's the most rewarding thing Aaron has ever done in his life. So, I want to give a shout out to all the wonderful Dads out there who have stuck it out, been there through thick and thin, and loved their kids unconditionally. It's not an easy job to be "The World's Greatest Dad". Happy Father's Day!

Photobucket