3/12/11

how to clone yourself

This is for those of you requesting a tutorial on cloning/blending. There are so many tutorials out there in blogosphere, but just so I don't seem like I'm blowing you off, I will make this as simple as I can for my wonderful readers, because I love you. Keep in mind that I am not a 'print screen' kinda' gal, nor do I use brushes to circle or use arrows to point things out in tutorials - probably because it's time consuming and I don't really know how people get those pictures so crisp and easy to read. So, without further ado...

This is literally going to be step-by-step.

1. Set up your camera on a tripod where you want the magic to happen.
2. Plan outfits/positions ahead of time (try to spread yourself out, if you're just starting out).
3. Set your camera to your timer (give yourself plenty of time to get into place).
4. Set your speedlight (if you're using it).
5. Set your timer and go, set your timer and go, set your timer and...you get the point. Be careful not to shake/move the camera in the process.
6. When finished, go to your editing program and open your photos (I use CS4 and I try to edit each photo THE SAME WAY before I begin, some edit the whole thing after). Save them, close them, and then open each photo again. Trust me, you'll want to do this. I found it to be easier when I edited mine.
7. Start with opening two at a time, putting them side-by-side.
8. Use your move tool and move one picture on top of the other (make sure they are in line with each other or you'll have a mess when you go to erase).
9. Set your opacity to about 35% so you can see your "clone" and where to erase.
10. Use your eraser tool and erase yourself. Be sure not to over erase yourself, just you only, nothing else.
11. Adjust your opacity back to 100% to see what you've created. Like it? Great. Save it, then open it again along with the next picture (step 7). Put them side-by-side and do it all over again (step 7 through step 11).

It does take practice. So, if you fudge it up, you can always start over. Practice makes perfect. You'll get your groove, don't worry. I'm going to warn you though. It is addicting. Once you've learned the basics (spreading yourself out), let me know and I'll post another tutorial how to overlap - not that difficult and not that much different, just a little more detail work. I hope this helped you guys!

Happy cloning! Let me know if you have questions.


Photobucket