10/14/10

good news and bad news

For starters, let me explain what this is all about. Being the Mom that I am and having a freak of nature (Landon) to compare Liam to, I have been a wreck lately. It all began when I noticed Liam wasn't pushing up (locking his elbows), sitting, crawling, or pulling up, etc. at the what I thought to be "normal" times. Every milestone has a timeline and Liam seemed to be missing all of them. Right now, we are still in the green on walking since the average age is 12-15 months. He is now 14 months and taking more and more steps as he goes. So, that's a good thing.  I talked to the Pediatrician a while back and she recommended an organization called First Steps - a team of Therapists. I had never heard of them or knew anyone who had used them, so naturally, I was skeptical. I was a worried Mama, so I thought it may be worth a try. Just recently I started Liam on therapies once I had noticed that Liam had a limp and some other signs - OT, PT, and DT. Can you tell I am a paranoid Mom? Well, my instincts must have been right because we found out today, after PT, that Liam has a tight muscle in his neck that he's had since birth. The PT explained that having this small issue can lead to other things such as delayed speech, walking, sitting, and so on, so she wasn't shocked to hear from me that he was delayed on his other milestones or that he's walking late. She tried to get me to picture a puzzle and all the pieces that make up this puzzle. Now, we've got to put them back together and they all have a place/job. She feels that he would've walked a little earlier had this tight muscle not been a problem. Within 10 minutes of observing him, she had it all figured out. She even asked to see pictures of Liam to show me that he was favoring the one side. I saw it! It was the weirdest thing. Poor little guy. He shows no other signs and says Liam looks great.  I just hope that he pulls through and there's nothing else wrong.  The bad news? A physical problem. The good news? We found it and it's fixable. Phew!

Photobucket