9/28/10

before and after

I am happy to report that "The Beast" is now complete. Well, it's not quite finished (I'll show you why below). Let's just say it is in my book. Wowza, what a lot of work this puppy was! I did most of the staining and I will gladly pat myself on the back for the time and effort I put into it. I think I've earned some brownie points taking care of two little guys, a dog, a husband, running errands, and so on. Don't worry, my husband helped tape some areas and painted some the backside of the play set. He was a big help actually. Mom + ladders = disaster!  I am extremely proud and feel very accomplished. And, I'm also happy to report that my back feels like it's been hit by a semi-trailer traveling at 90 mph and my arms and legs feel like I spent way too much time buffing up at the gym. Boo for aching backs and sore appendages.  Whether I want to take it easy or not, I think I've been violently shoved into it.  Hey, not such a bad thing I suppose.  In fact, I think I hear my couch screaming my name as we speak. Oh yes, and I cannot forget, Landon had four colors to choose from and this is the one he picked. Not too shabby for a little guy.

Looks pretty simple, huh?  Not exactly.  Here are the steps it took to get it where it is today:
  • Moving
  • Leveling
  • Bleaching (spraying by hand top to bottom to clean the wood)
  • Brushing by hand top to bottom (to smooth the wood and remove tough dirt spots)
  • Deciding what to use on it (stain vs. paint), then deciding on color
  • Staining



Still a few things to do:
  • Buy new swing seats
  • Remove more rocks, paint the rocks, paint the board, and install rocks
  • Add more layers of paint to the trapeze bar
  • Buy an infant/toddler swing and install
  • Install plaque (Landon's idea)





Now I can sit back and relax.  I think Daddy-O and Landonator can handle the rest.  *sigh*

Photobucket