7/28/10

the ramblings of the elderly

Warning: Stepping up on the soap box. 

I love the elderly, or just older people in general because I feel we can learn a lot from them, but my goodness, can we please move on from when they were young? I'm always hearing, "When I was your age..." or "When we were married we didn't need/have anything. We made our clothes and drank from a well." Okay, okay, I get it already. I know they don't approve of the year 2010, but enough.  They were able to get by with no electricity, no appliances, no store bought clothing, no water faucets, no food, etc.  I get it, honest, but I don't want their life from 50 years ago. Times have changed and I don't feel the need to take myself or my kids back to the dark ages if I don't have to. The truth is, this is a very different day and time. I don't think they realize what year we're in. Maybe they call that being senile? I don't know, but it bugs me to have to listen to it day in and day out. Marriages themselves are totally different. We don't condone our children getting married and having kids all before the age(s) of 18-21. We call that stupidity, being naive, or babies having babies. And, a one dollar tip on a $25.00 tab does not constitute as gratuity. So, how about we try 15% or better for someone's service because we all know you didn't just pay for a $1.29 cup of coffee going by the size of that tab.  *sigh*  What we have at our fingertips is totally different now. Like washers and dryers, microwaves, cell phones, debit cards, computers, ATM machines, touch tone phones, and so on. It's amazing how far we've come in just 10 years, let alone 40. These folks have no idea. But, rest assured they are utilizing at least one of these items on a daily basis. So, if not having these items at hand was such a thing to brag about, then why are they using today's goodies? Why not go without?  I mean, if it's such as bad thing or an unnecessary item, then why are they using it too?  I simply don't get it. I always thought it was somewhat of a jealousy thing because we have so much at our fingertips today and they didn't. I also believe that some people are just a little too old-fashioned and simply need to get with the times. Enough already, really. I'll live in this day and age the way I want, just like everyone around my age group. So, the next time an elderly person wants to "give it to me" about what they approve of or what they don't, I'll be sure to let them know that I don't particularly like their fashion sense because they're evidently out-of-date.  I wonder what kind of look I'll get.  Gah!  Stepping off the soap box.


Photobucket