6/13/10

mixed emotions

To start things off, Landon had to be put on ADHD medication recently. I always knew it would come to this since he has always been our active child. At first, we thought he was just being a boy, or a kid in general. Then, we noticed how people always seemed irritated being around him and shunned him off many times. We didn't like it. In fact, it really ticked us off when we would stand back and watch people with him. When they would talk to him, it wouldn't be in that sweet, loving voice...no. It was always an irritated, "Stop that!!!" or "Get off, Landon!!!" My first thought? Calm down, people. My second thought? Poor kid. He just wanted some attention, and come to find out, he couldn't help it. It's almost like getting mad at someone for having cancer. They can't help it, it just happens. Although this disorder is hereditary, I'm curious to know where it came from. I have heard that this disorder is quite common in kids nowadays. Everyone I talk to with school-aged kids are telling me that their kids are having the same issue. This is why I love reading other people's family blogs. I know I'm not alone when faced with challenges as a parent. It's comforting and informative. I asked the doctor what causes this, and she told me that no-one knows, but it is very common. I have mixed emotions about putting my six, almost seven, year old on meds. There is something disturbing about it. I guess at this point, I have no other choice and I wasn't given any other option. So, I suppose that is what we do until we find a better way. Landon is an amazing kid. He's SO incredibly smart. He's one of the top students in his class, and doing better than some in higher grades. He's moved up to reading bigger words now. Everyone is amazed by his ability to read at high levels at such a young age. Even the doctor was shocked to hear this since being able to read well is something that a child with ADHD can't do. I wasn't aware of that. On the flip side, I can't complain as a parent. Landon is absolutely wonderful. He just needed a little redirection. We hope to see some improvement, which we have to some degree. He's still adjusting to his medication. If not, we'll have to up the dosage or switch medication to find what is best for him, providing much needed information through an online portal. I'm not embarrassed in the least bit, but I am very sad. Hopefully the doctor is correct when she says he could grow out of it, as most kids do. As our blog states...life happens, and it truly does.


Photobucket